Monday, July 26, 2010

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Experiment


For the past few months my husband and I have been testing out different types of homemade chocolate chip cookie recipes. I am the baker and of course he is the tester. I've been online searching for great cookie recipes. I have tested out five different recipes that claim to be the "Worlds Best Chocolate Chip Cookie". Of those, some make flat cookies, other thick cookies, some large batches and some small. I even made one recipe that didn't include any eggs. After testing all these recipes I read about small tweaks that you can make to improve them and also experimented with my own ideas.

In the end (and a few pounds later) we have come up with what we found to be the best cookie recipe. Drumroll please.........

The Nestle Toll House recipe located on the back of the chocolate chips! Yes this was the winner overall.

We first decided that the flavor of the chips make or break the cookie and then we found we liked the consistency best. Here are the tweaks that I made to this recipe.

Instead of two sticks of butter, I only used one.
Double the amount of vanilla. Also make sure its real vanilla, not imitation.
Add two tablespoons of milk to the final moist mixture before the flour is added
Refrigerate the dough. We found they do not spread as much, if the balls of raw dough are cold therefore making the cookie not so thin around the edges.


So test this recipe and my recommended tweaks out for yourself. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment