Monday, December 6, 2010


As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time at furniture and accessory stores.  I’m amazed at how often I notice people asking sales staff for tape measures and then trying to take notes on the back of an old receipt. I decided to come up with a shopping kit recommendation. These are the items I always keep with me and I recommend my clients to do the same. This will make your life much easier, I promise!

Tape Measure – There is no way you can shop for furniture without a tape measure. Sometimes ½ an inch can make a huge difference. Grab a small one and keep it in your purse all the time. You’ll be amazed at how often you whip that sucker out. It can also save you from having the hassle of making returns.


Camera – I always recommend a camera too. If you’re considering an item but don’t feel comfortable making the actual purchase yet, take pictures.  Be sure to get a few shots at different angles. When you get home and review the pictures it will be easier to imagine it in your space.

Pen and Paper – Have a pen and paper handy to take notes of measurements,  sku numbers and any ordering information you may need.

Swatches – It can be difficult being in a store and matching fabrics to what you imagine your sofa looks like at home. It’s so much easier to have a fabric swatch with you. I’ll cut small strips and keep them in an envelope in my purse until the project is complete. I’ll even save the envelope for a future project in that same room. 

Pictures - When working on a specific room, take a few snapshots and keep them in your purse. That way you’ll have a quick reference of what you’re working with. It may also help out the sales staff in finding the perfect piece for you. 



Notes – Finally, I recommend making a list of all the major furniture pieces and accessories and their measurements. You also may want to take note of window sizes, decorative cutouts and even special lighting placement in your room. I write notes on a notecard and slide it into the envelope with the swatches. 

Use these tips to ensure a successful shopping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment